Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Serendipity

January 12, 2008

Serendipity

It is the word that I learned from you. It is also the word that definitely explains our meeting perfectly.

It all started when you decided to stop complaining about the fact that a lot of Hispanic people can't speak English at all even thought they live in the USA for along time. You decided to make a little difference in your community by joining English In Action (EIA) and becoming a volunteer teacher. Of course, at the time, you would have preferred to have a Hispanic student.

At the same time I was in the interview process after almost a year on the waiting list for EIA. When they asked me about a "busy doctor" being my teacher, I said I am ok with her. I thought who else would be as flexible as me could be her student. "At least I can practice my English", I thought.

You said great to have me to be your student. It was beyond your expectation; it was serendipity. I was really honored. Thank you so much.

From you, I learn about many things. American culture, Jewish culture, ethical culture, peace, medical lessons of course, how to be a good person, how to be a teacher, and how to be a good mother too. You wake me up from my long sleep. You inspired me to reach my dream, to do many things that I never thought off.

To day is your birthday, I want to tell you that you mean a lot to me.

Tons of thanks for you.

I hope you don't mind if I remember you to be Horton, a kind elephant, a good character that I got know at first through you.

Happy birthday Kim.

I hope all good things surround you.

My God bless you.

Like you always say, peace and love

Shinta

Serendipity : the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not shought for.

And it is a letter that She wrote back to me :

Hi Shinta...

I can’t even begin to say how blessed and honored I am to have you in my life.  You are an amazing woman, friend, mother, wife and I am so happy that serendipity touched both of us allowing us to meet.  Thank you for being my student, teacher and friend.  AND thank you and your family for sharing my birthday with me.  It made it an even more special event.

Lots of love and peace and I can’t wait to see you SOON to tell you in person how special you are and how much I LOVE my Horton!!!!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment